A blog dedicated to cooking, knitting, and homeschooling.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Strawberry Jam and Spatchcocked Chicken

This was my second and much more successful attempt at jam-making. We picked our own strawberries at a local farm, and as it was the end of the season and they were rather ripe, I dropped everything to can them when we got home. So, I followed the directions on the recipe for Sure-Jell, but this time I added almost double the pectin, and I did everything in the proper order. Simple delicious and they make a great gift. However, there probably won't be any around to give away by Christmas. I felt like my grandma was there with me when I had my first PB and J. Growing up, my grandma would always make freezer jam for me and I loved it. I even complained if my mother tried to put store-bought jelly in my lunch.

Spatchcocked Chicken

I was introduced to this method of cooking by a magazine. Basically, you spatchcock the chicken, meaning you turn it over and cut out the spine along each side, so you are left with a cowardly, spineless chicken. Then you flip it over and flatten it out. There are so many advantages to cooking it this way, one being that it cooks evenly and more quickly than other methods. So your white meat and dark meat won't dry out.

Here is what I did: Stuff the chicken with slices of lemon and cold herbed butter under the skin (probably about a 3/4 stick of butter), season with salt and pepper. Add favorite vegetables, tossed with olive oil to the pan. I used red potatoes and onion, but I suppose carrots, celery or squash would work too. Roast on 325 until juices run clear and thermometer reads proper temperature.

Now you are probably wondering how to make herb butter. Easy. Soft butter + your favorite herbs. You can mix it by hand, make small or large amounts, or even use the food processor. I like parsley, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and chives. Add a little of each at a time to your own taste. It keeps for weeks in the coldest part of your fridge. Great on steaks too!


1 comment:

  1. I want to learn to make jam so bad. I don't know that I would be able to with the kitchen equipment I currently have, though. I'll have to go look at that recipe. Beautiful!

    ~Monica

    ReplyDelete