A blog dedicated to cooking, knitting, and homeschooling.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce with Cumin Shrimp


Sauce:
3 poblano peppers, roasted skins peeled
1 clove garlic
4 c milk, heavy cream, or half and half
1 medium onion, diced
1/3 c flour
4 tbsp butter
1/2 c grated Parmesan (Romano or Grana Padano can substitute)
pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
olive oil

Roast the peppers in the oven, on the grill or other open flame of your choice, allow them to cool and remove skins. Once they are cool, in a food processor, pulse peppers and garlic. I was being really lazy and added my cheese into the processor so that I wouldn't have to grate it. You can do that too.

In a medium-size pot, saute onions in 1-2 tbsp olive oil, over medium heat until they begin to soften, add butter. When butter is completely melted, add flour. Stir. Add milk and nutmeg, I use whatever I have on hand, mostly milk and half and half. You can use pretty much any combination you like. Whisk until ingredients are combined and there are no lumps. Add poblano mixture. Stir often and allow mixture to thicken, reduce heat to medium-low if you prefer.

I start water for my pasta after I start the onions. Cook your favorite pasta according to directions.
While the sauce is thickening and the pasta is cooking, I make the shrimp.

Cumin Shrimp:
Olive oil
3/4 lb to 1 lb shrimp
salt
pepper
cumin

In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add shrimp, season with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste. Cook until shrimp has just turned pink on both sides. Be careful not to overcook.

In order to serve this I mix the cream sauce with the cooked pasta, top with shrimp and extra sauce. You can add the shrimp to the sauce and combine with the pasta, if you like. I happen to have non-seafood eaters in the house, so I keep them separate. I top mine with a little grated cheese and crushed red pepper. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment