A blog dedicated to cooking, knitting, and homeschooling.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Carnitas and Rice


This is a pretty simple recipe that I make in the crockpot:

3 lbs pork loin
1 can diced green chiles
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (with or without green chiles)
1 small onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1tsp oregano
1-2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chile powder

Put it all in the crock pot and shred the meat when it is good and tender. If you really don't know how to use a crock pot and cannot figure out how to make this recipe, leave a comment below so we can all laugh at you. Sometimes I serve this with homemade tortillas (that I make with lard! that I save) but this time I served it with Acapulco's Rice, to which I made a few adjustments, such as cilantro instead of parsley. Thanks for the recipe Dad, but I think you made it better. I think Dad added a chipotle chile and some green onions to the rice and I will definitely do that next time, even if he didn't because it just sounds good. The recipe also needs more time and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup more liquid, if you are using brown rice.

Anyways, I served this with shredded cheese and sour cream. If I had thought about it, I may have garnished with green onion or a bit more cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! My Dad will be visiting for a week and I needed some fresh recipe ideas. It looks like you have a lot of great ones.

    ReplyDelete