A blog dedicated to cooking, knitting, and homeschooling.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eggplant Not-Parmesan and Two other Tales

Eggplant is my new favorite vegetable. I've been making variations of this dish for a few months now. I believe that this dish is a combination of so many things that I can now call it my own. So here we go. Ingredients are in red, so they match the sauce.

Eggplant, about 5-7 small, Italian eggplant, sliced about 1/4 inch thick, salted and roasted. Sliced eggplant should be salted to remove excess water and bitterness. I do mine with coarse sea salt in a colander for about 20 minutes. Italian eggplant tends to be less bitter but you can use any variety of eggplant.

Roast eggplant drizzled with olive oil on baking sheets for about 10-20 minutes, switch them about halfway through to ensure they will finish at the same time.

Alright, the sauce for this one happens to be a simple marinara sauce.
Two 28 oz. cans of San Marzano tomatoes and two cloves of garlic pulsed in a food processor. Cook over medium heat with about 2 tbsp olive oil, for 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add about 1 handful of chopped basil, cook for another 5 minutes or so over medium heat.

Now, leave the oven on 350, and in a 9x12 pan, spread a layer of sauce on bottom. You can start your water for your pasta here, too. Layer eggplant with sauce and sliced fresh mozzarella, and about 1/2 cup of a grated hard cheese like Parmesan or Romano. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the mozzarella just begins to brown. Serve with a pound of your favorite pasta, fresh grated cheese at the table and if you are like me, a few dashes of crushed red pepper.



I just wanted to share these strawberries that we picked at a local farm, the same one where the eggplant for this recipe came from.
Here I made black raspberry jam, it was my first attempt at jamming. The recipe came from the box of Sure Jell. I would have probably used more pectin if I had not already misread the directions and headed down the slippery slope to runny jam. It did thicken up a bit but not as much as I had hoped. However it is more than edible and I was able to use it in an ice cream recipe. The blackberries came from Costco, if anyone was wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment